Friday, February 27, 2009

Gourmet Magazine, March 2009

I usually feel lucky if I can tear out more than one recipe to try from an issue of Gourmet or Bon Appetit, but I found so many recipes from the most recent Gourmet magazine that I just had to share.

First of all, the cover has a picture of the Monte Cubano sandwich, a "two-in-one induglgence [that] has the irresistible makings of a Cuban sandwich, including Swiss cheese, pickles, and sliced meets--but it's also dipped in egg batter and fried like a Monte Cristo." Strangely enough, my cover (a mailed subscription) is different from the one on the website in that mine just has the picture and the words "Gourmet, The Magazine of Good Living", the date, and the price. I guess you want to have a hint of what's inside for the issues on the newstands.



On page 4 is a recipe for Key Lime Coconut Cake and page 17 has a recipe for Key Lime Pie, one of my most favoritest desserts ever. Page 47 has Panfried Smashed Potatoes, "crisp-skinned yet pillowy [potatoes], sprinkled with a generous amount of salty parmesan" and on page 49 you have Chocolate Raspberry Calfoutis, "somewhere between custard and cake...a simple French country dessert."

Then starting on page 68 you've got a whole article on Korean food with Soy-Pickled Jalapenos, Warm Tofu with Spicy Garlic Sauce, Shrimp and Scallion Pancakes, and Mandarin Orange Ice Cream with Sesame Brittle.

Finally, two recipes for roast chicken, Glazed Chicken with Porcini and Crisp Potatoes on page 86 and Roast Chicken with Pan Gravy on page 98, and a recipe for how to use the carcasses to make Leftover-Roast-Chicken Stock.

Surfing around on their web page I found a video for how to carve a whole roast chicken (a skill I should really learn) and a recipe for Coconut Panna Cotta that would use up the leftover coconut flakes from the Key Lime Coconut Cake.

Yay, I can't wait to start trying these recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment